The Whatcom Marine Mammal Stranding Network (WMMSN) is an organization of volunteers that are dedicated to the care of distressed or deceased marine mammals. Under an authority granted by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), the WMMSN does the following:
- Respond to reports of stranded, distressed or deceased Marine Mammals.
- Assess the condition of stranded Marine Mammals and determine how best to help them.
- Prevent human contact and interference with stranded Marine Mammals.
- In some cases, careful and safe removal of deceased Marine Mammals.
- Determine why Marine Mammals died, performing Necropsies when necessary.
- Determine if stranded or deceased Marine Mammals pose a biological threat to humans or other marine life.
- Educate the public about local Marine Mammals and how best to cohabitate with them.
Thank you for your support!